The renewed Finnish forest industry sustainability commitments 2025 published
The renewed Finnish forest industry sustainability commitments 2025 were published in the spring 2018. The commitments guide the whole forest industry sector to make even more sustainable choices.
Forests give us well-being in multiple ways and the possibility to make smart, sustainable choices. The forest industry in Finland has consistently worked on sustainability issues for several decades. We want to continue to be frontrunners in the future as well.
The first voluntary sustainability commitments of the forest industry in Finland were published already in 2013. The renewed commitments, with stricter targets, cover all dimensions of responsibility – ecological, financial and social – and guide the whole forest industry sector to make even more sustainable choices.
With the new commitments our target is to demonstrate leadership and continuous improvement in sustainability issues, as well as respond to current sustainability challenges more effectively. We also want to show the important role of the forest industry in implementing the UN Sustainable Development Goals (Agenda 2030). An essential part of our development work is an active dialogue with our stakeholders.
Finnish forest industry sustainability commitments 2025
Promoting sustainable economy and welfare
1. We promote a sustainable economy and increase welfare by creating added value, paying taxes and employing people in different parts of Finland both directly and through our value chain.
2. We provide safe and ecologically sustainable products made of renewable raw materials. We continue to develop our current products and methods of operation, and we create new innovations to utilise wood in increasingly diverse ways to benefit people and society.
3. Our actions are equally responsible on the national and international level, and we require responsibility from our cooperation partners throughout the value chain.
4. We work constantly to develop occupational safety with the goal of ensuring accident-free workplaces.
5. We take care of the wellbeing of our employees, as well as the development of their competence.
6. We acknowledge changes that occur in society and offer different ways to find employment in the industry. We promote apprenticeship training and the employment of young people by offering diverse opportunities for summer jobs and internships.
Promoting biodiversity and the sustainable use of forests
7. We verify the lawful origins of the wood we consume and promote the use of forest certification systems. Our aim is to ensure that at least 90 per cent of the wood and fibre used by the forest industry is certified by 2025.
8. We promote the nature management of commercial forests and the voluntary protection of forests and peatlands with the aim of reversing the decline of endangered forest species.
9. We commit to reducing the impacts of our own forestry operations on water systems, and on a broader level we promote means to reduce the load to waterbodies resulting from forest management and use.
Combating climate change
10. We contribute to the transition to a carbon neutral society by offering climate-friendly products and supporting achieving the Paris climate agreement goals.
11. We increase the share of renewable energy production as a part of the emerging forest industry. Our aim is to increase the share of renewable energy in the forest industry energy production to 90 per cent by 2025.
12. We are committed to the continuous improvement of energy efficiency.
Implementing sustainable production and circular economy
13. We continue to improve the efficiency of our water use and systematically reduce our water pollution load. Our aim is to reduce the nutrient emissions of our production facilities by 15 per cent per tonne of output by 2025 (year of comparison 2016).
14. We are committed to improving material efficiency and promoting nutrient recycling. We develop solutions for improving the added value of side streams through, for example, industrial symbioses.
Increased responsibility through cooperation
15. We communicate openly on environmental and responsibility issues and conduct an active dialogue with key stakeholder groups.
16. We promote sustainable development in society by carrying out responsibility projects with our partners and collaborating with local communities.
17. We contribute to achieving the UN sustainable development goals.